Monday, January 11, 2010

Verizon, the Glove is Thrown Down.

Just submitted to the BBB. Thake that, Verizon.

Explanation:
"I do not want to purchase this service from Verizon. However, due to their monopolistic practices, I have no other options for land line service at my apartment. I only purchase this land line service so I can purchase DSL service from a third-party provider (DSL Extreme out of Salt Lake City UT, who have provided nothing but excellent service at good prices). Verizon does not provide the service level and features I want at what I consider to be a reasonable price.

To this end, I purchased what I believe to the the cheapest and lowest possible level of service from Verizon. I do not even care if I am able to place or receive local or long-distance calls. Unfortunately, even this most meager service, which includes per-minute rates for local calls, costs in excess of $24.00 per month.

I find this utterly outrageous. They are providing me with literally just a dial tone. That service alone costs $8.27. Then there are $9.82 of various taxes and fees. I do not dispute these. However, what I find reprehensible, is the 'Verizon Long Distance Shortfall' charge. I did not intend to, nor did I want to, sign up for long-distance service. Especially not for $5 per month when I do not use the service. When I called to dispute this charge, I was informed that there was no way to remove or eliminate this service. What they have done, is advertised a 'free' or 'no monthly charge' long-distance option while it really costs a minimum of $5 per month. On my last bill, this was increased to $6 with no warning or explanation.

Prior to this increase, I had received telemarketing calls (all of which were nearly indecipherable due to poor call quality - which only furthers my disgust for them as a corporation) to ensure I was getting 'the best services at the right value'. When I tried to explain that the 'best service and value' for me would be to remove this feature of my calling plan, I was met with verbal shoulder-shrugging and refusals. I was told that the only way to remove the 'shortfall charge' would be to purchase an 'unlimited' long distance plan, which would increase my monthly expenses (and also their revenues).

If telecom was actually a free market, I'd take my business elsewhere over a year ago. However, I am left with no other option but to file this complaint in an effort to get what I feel that I deserve as a paying customer."

Desired Resolution"
"I want my long distance service removed from my bill and not recur. I do not require the ability to make long distance calls from my land line."

No comments: